Adam> on the matter of compiling perl: this is something i have also been
Adam> wanting to look into, for the reason of speeding up my programs,

As the FAQ entry says, Perl is already compiled by the time it hits
runtime, so there's not much you can do to make it faster.  Perhaps
you mean "speeding up the launching", and for that we already have
technologies like mod_perl and FastCGI, and still don't need a
separate "compiler" to do that.

Adam>  and
Adam> being able to distribute my programs to people who don't have perl
Adam> (probably because they are newbies to computers, and just want a
Adam> program that works instead of having to install Perl5 and all required
Adam> modules...).

As the FAQ also says, this is a less-than-satisfying goal, because
each binary will then come with the entire Perl footprint (or some
potentially-incorrectly calcuated subset), essentially creating a
higher-level version of "DLL hell".  The download from ActiveState is
trivial to install.  I know nothing about Windows, and it took me all
of three clicks to get it right.  And then you get *one* footprint,
and a programming environment to boot.

Adam>  i plan to educate myself about this extensively.

So learn what the FAQ says.  That's pretty accessible.

In short, "compiling" isn't.  You don't any of what you want, and you
only mess it up for us who come along later to help you out.  So stop
trying.