[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> within my code. it works like a charm. however, when i try:
>
> sub header {
>   print << head;
>   head
> }
>
> is this not working because of a fault in my syntax? or is this not
> possible within perl?

You should be getting an error like:

Can't find string terminator "" anywhere before EOF at ./foo.pl
line nnn.

because your statement is being evaluated as

print <<"";

(and head is being taken as a bareword) which is half-way clear
from the error given above, and would surely be clear if you were
using the -w switch. If you really want to end on "  head", go
ahead and do that; or end on "head" and remove the leading spaces
later on.

One moral of this story is that the -w switch alerts you very
quickly to a great many problems. Somebody once said it is a bug
that the -w switch isn't mandatory (cf. man perl).

Christian

117 NW 15th Street # S107                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gainesville, FL  32603-1973                         (352) 392-0851