On Jun 5, Mark Ross said:

>I'm very confused on how to use taint for my cgi scripts.
>
>"Too late for "-T" option at w:\cgi-bin\admin\tainttest.pl line 1."

The first place to find explanations for error messages is in the perldiag
documentation.  You can even embed an automatic look-up feature by
including:

  use diagnostics;

in your code.  Looking through the docs, we see:

     Too late for "-T" option
         (X) The #! line (or local equivalent) in a Perl script
         contains the -T option, but Perl was not invoked with -T
         in its command line.  This is an error because, by the
         time Perl discovers a -T in a script, it's too late to
         properly taint everything from the environment.  So Perl
         gives up.

         If the Perl script is being executed as a command using
         the #!  mechanism (or its local equivalent), this error
         can usually be fixed by editing the #! line so that the
         -T option is a part of Perl's first argument: e.g.
         change perl -n -T to perl -T -n.

       > If the Perl script is being executed as perl scriptname,
       > then the -T option must appear on the command line: perl
       > -T scriptname.

That last paragraph is of interest to you, I think.

As far as HOW tainting is used, it demands you check and validate any
outside information (environment variables, arguments, CGI query data,
etc.) before using it in a potentially harmful situation.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
Eruséro Marillion -- wielder of Ringril, known as Hesinaur, the Winter-Sun