On Jun 12, Brennan, Corey said:

>I am trying to convert a script to Perl/Tk and I am having trouble.  I have
>some formats defined

I've no clue how you'd get formats to write() to a Tk widget... you'd have
to use formline() and the $^A variable, methinks.

But have no fear -- I'm in the process of writing a format-to-sprintf
module that will allow you to convert your use of formats (which are
becoming more and more ancient) to more understandable (?) and
maintainable (!) sprintf() calls.

>format  DATA_OUT_TOP =
>col1     col2     col3
>---------------------------
>.

This would look like:

  sprintf << "END";
  col1     col2     col3
  ---------------------------
  END

>format  DATA_OUT =
>@|||||    @|||||    @||||||
>$text  $text1   $text2
>.

This would look like

  sprintf << "END",
  %6.6s    %6.6s    %7.7s
  END
    center($text,6), center($text1,6), center($text2,7);

Like so.  The center() call is only needed because there is no
sprintf() means for centering, but there are for left and right aligning.

I might even make it so that you can make the sprintf() which is called
internally, not by the user, to know centering, via something like

  %|6.6s

Default string alignment is to the right, and to get left-alignment, you'd
use -6 (or whatever number).

More news as the module develops.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
I am Marillion, the wielder of Ringril, known as Hesinaur, the Winter-Sun.