1) unless you have previously populated the db file, it will start off as
empty.

2) $ALIAS is the reference to the hash, maybe you were trying to say print
%ALIAS?
  and may I suggest a little loop like this :

foreach (keys %hash)
{
  print "$_ :: $hash{$_}\n";
}

  which will print the content of the hash in a nice looking fashion.

Tor.