On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 08:29:05PM +0100, Mark Bedish wrote:
> I am putting tabs between the fields and then changing the a13 which is
> a tso overpunch to its decimal equiv, e.g. 1234} means -123.40 .

How.. odd.

> As I hinted, my code is very procedural as I am not used to Perl yet.

Procedural code is nothing to be ashamed of.  Perl is good at being both
procedural and object-oriented.  It would seem to me, given your task,
making a big class to process things would actually be deterimental.

> In terms of timimgs, it is still nearly 50% faster as is but that may not
> be enough to persuade the mangers to use it instead of Visual Basic, which
> is by all accounts much harder to maintain for this type of processing,
> but VB is the standard so I have an uphill struggle :-(

If it truly is easier to maintain, and there are enough people in the
company that know Perl, that should be your argument more than efficiency
gains.  Higher maintenance means higher cost, and money is the language of
managers.  However, there does have to be some backup; if you're the only
person there who knows Perl then maintenance is nearly impossible if you're
not around.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net