--- sridevi arjunan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>       Could anyone briefly explain the difference
> between the shell script and the scripting language
> like perl?

lol -- Well, my gut response is to say "not really", but Brett did a
pretty good job. =o)

The main thing to keep in mind is that a "shell script" is literally
that: a script of commands to be executed by the shell command
interpreter. A "scripting language" is usually pretty much the same,
just using some other interpreter to accomplish that end.

Perl, on the other hand, has evolved. It can still be used as a simple
"scipting language", or a "glue language" as Larry called it, but it
has become capable of doing practically anything any other language can
do.

Try to do bit-shifting in ksh, and you may end up with a headache, or
at least a call to some other utility, which spawns another process.
You could kind of do objects, but encapsulation might be a little
tricky. =o)

That's what I like best about Perl. It almost never requires you to
take the bigger-hammer approach, but there's usually a mallet within
easy reach if you just decide to squash a problem through brute force.

TMTOWTDI. ;o]