* Gross, Stephan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [26 Jun 2001 22:16]:
> Why is this style

> if ($x) {
>     do this;
>     do that;
> }

> typically preferred over

> if ($x)
> {
>    do this;
>    do that;
> }

> I like the latter example because it's easier to cut and paste the
> braces and everything in between. I also think it looks better. But
> none of the top programmers ever seems to do this.

It's just a style thing. I, personally, tend to do it your second way.
Kernighan and Ritchie ("The C Programming Language") did it the first
way and many programmers learn their style from there.

The GNU coding standards[1] state in the section on formattnig code [2]
that the {} should be on a new line, but they also want it indented a
bit. e.g.

if ($x)
  {
    do this;
    do that;
  }

It's all just a matter of taste really. So long as it's legible, it
should be good.

There are two programs, pbeaut and perltidy, that can change these
things. pbeaut[3] hasn't been released yet, so you can't use it.
PerlTidy[4] apparently works quite well. I've not had cause to use it
yet so I only know it by reputation.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html
[2] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_22.html#SEC22
[3] http://www.consultix-inc.com/perl_beautifier.html