Since you're doing a string compare on $groupname, you need to use 'ne', not
'!='.

 <code>
 foreach my $file (@files) {
        #getgrpid returns the group file entry for a given group id.
        my $groupname = (getgrgid((stat($file))[5]))[0];
        if ($groupname ne "groupname") {
                print "$file has bad groupname: $groupname\n";
 </code>

(since "foo" == "bar" numerically)