The one thing in perl that gets my head all confused is fork.

Can someone point me in the right direction (be it book, website, or kind
enough to offer code).

I need to make a script that has to check 16000 servers in around 6 minutes.
My rough maths works out that 44 checks a second are needed. Each server
check takes about 0.5 seconds to return, so the best bet is to fork each
individual check, the result of which gets added to mysql so no need to have
a conversation going on between child and parent. Idealy i would like to
control the max amount children i have to, say, around 50.

Any help would be greatful.

(I have the cook book open but only seems to talk about a single parent
child pair..?!)

Pierre.