At 09:52 AM 6/28/01 -0700, Gregg Williams wrote:

>Hi--I recently posted a message titled "writing readable Perl." In it, I
>said:

snip

>This is a simple example--too simple for some--but it gives you an idea of
>what I'm looking for. Thanks again for your time.

"Readable" is like "obscene" (in more ways than one, in some code I've
seen).  I spent a little time in my book (one day I hope to have to say
which book :-) going over pros and cons of different takes on this.  But as
it stands, "readable" is simply meaningless, and guaranteed to cause
friction.  Your elaboration doesn't help either.  "Readable" is only
meaningful in a context of how the code is going to be used and what your
tactical and strategic goals are.  Debating it in a virtual vacuum like
this is what I call a "pinhead" discusssion - how many angels can dance on
the head of a pin...

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies