-- Original Message --

>My file has dates in it that either come out as "2Jul2001" or "21Jul2001".
> So one or two digits for the day, three for the month, and four for the
>year.
>
>So I would like to split out the day, month, year, and am interested in
>splitting techniques, where there are no delimeters.

This is my first contribution to the list, I hope it helps.  You should
be able to extract your date data using this regex -

($day, $month, $year) = $date =~ /(\d{1,2})(\w{3,})(\d{4})/;

This assumes $date contains your date string and results in $day, $month
and $year containing the individual data bits.

Will

Visit iWon.com - the Internet's largest guaranteed cash giveaway! Click
here now for your "Thank You" gift:
http://www.iwon.com/giftcenter/0,2612,,00.html?t_id=20157