Hi folks,
Inspired by some discussion on that list I'd like to swap my 5.004 version
of Perl to a newer one.
( To be exact, perl -v returns now on our system:
This is perl, version 5.004_04 built for sun4-solaris
Copyright 1987-1997, Larry Wall )
The only Perl guru that we have in our company is for some reason very
reluctant to help me.. He murmured
something about incompatibility and told me to reconsider. So, my first
question is: should I expect anything bad?

The second one is:  on sunfreeware.com Perl 5.6.1 for SPARC/Solaris 8 comes
with a warning:
"Important Note - Solaris 8 comes with a slightly earlier version of perl in
/usr/bin. You may wish to use this version rather than the version on
sunfreeware.com. If you do install this perl and want to use it rather than
the Sun one, you will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH before
/usr/bin."
Is 'slightly earlier version' 5.004?

Thanks in advance,
Ela