> This will tell you why or how something might be going wrong and what your
> pwd is.  Also, you should check the parent directory in which you are
> trying to make this directory for directory permissions (seteuid) which can
> cause the directory to be created the same as the parent directory.  You
> should also see if you have a umask set.  If so, this could cause the
> directory to default to a certain mode at first that might cause caveats
> with Perl (doubt it but just brain storming here).

        For now, i am just using this script to do a mkdir, so its
        a pretty isolated environment. The directory is successfully
        being made and the directory is my home dir, so no setuid bits
        are set or any unusual downward affecting permissions. My
        umask is set to 022. Someone else mentioned that perldoc -f mkdir
        would be of some help. The page does indicate that the second
        argument for mkdir is a mask rather than actual bits being set,
        but I am not certain exactly how this mask works. It doesnt appear
        to work like umask as far as i can tell.

        Again, the only pattern I am seeing is that the second argument
        can't set perms that exceed your current umask. In other words,
        my umask is 022, so mkdir wont let me create a directory with
        any permissions greater than 755, however 775 cant be done,
        however 711 can.

        Does that sound like normal response?