Ah -- of course.

you need to chomp your $key when you read from STDIN.

-----Original Message-----
From: jatuporn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 9:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with associative array

I try to write a program that reads a file with two fields.The first field
is a costumer ID and the second is the costumer name by using " ! " as a
seperator between 2 fields. Store costumer ID as the key and the costumer
name as value into a hash.

My code is below, I have a problem that $info{ $key} does not show the
value. What is the problem ? How to change it?

Thank you.

 ***** myfile.pl *****

$filename ="costumer.txt";
open(FILE,$filename ) or die ("can not open file : $filename");

while ($line = <FILE>)
{
        $line =~ s/\s+/ /g;
        ($id,$name) = split(/!/,$line,2);
        $info{$id} = $name;
}
print "Enter id:";
$key = <STDIN>;
print ("ID: $key  NAME : $info{ $key} \n");

***** costumer.dat ******
001!test1
002!test2
003!test3