On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:20:39AM -0500, Chris Mulcahy wrote:
> Other than creating a database table and managing sessions on my own by
> passing cookies around manually, are there any options for managing
> sessions in Perl using CGI?  Apache::Session appears to only work in the
> mod_perl version.  The error I keep getting in my error_log file is:

The Apache:: in Apache::Session is meant to indicate it works only under
mod_perl.  Even if you were in a mod_perl environment Apache::Session isn't
the entire solution; Apache::Session simply stores data in an arbitrary
database, keyed on a token.  It's your responsibility to give it a unique
token for a given session.  At least, this is how it worked the last time I
looked at Apache::Session.

I don't have an answer to your question.  Perhaps someone else here does.
Have you looked on CPAN under the CGI namespace?

> This leads me to another question, which is how to resolve that error
> because I'm going to be needing the request object once I start posting
> forms.

The request object returned by the Apache->request() method is specific to
Apache; it's the request record structure used internally by Apache.  There
is no true equivalent in the CGI world, though you can get to a lot of the
same information through environmental variables.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net
Programmer, System Administrator   www.gallanttech.com