perldoc is installed into the same directory as your perl binary. It may not
be in your path, so you may need to add it or link to it. You won't get very
far if you don't use it, so find it and use it. Save yourself much head
banging.

You need to declare your variables, typically with "my".

   use strict;

   my $email;           # $email is a lexcially-scoped variable
                        # existing from here through the end of this file

   $email = "blah blah";