Ron,

It doesn't appear you've gotten a response to this on the list yet.  I'd
like to respond, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do.  I'll ask some
questions that may make it more clear to me and others.

On Saturday 28 July 2001 13:25, Ron Smith wrote:
> I've been handed a project where I have to read the contents of several
> files, which looks like the following:
>
> file.0001.rgb
> file.0002.rgb
> file.0003.rgb
> file.0004.rgb
> file.0005.rgb
> file_2.0001.rgb
> file_2.0002.rgb
> file_2.0003.rgb

Is this the contents of an example file?  Of are these filenames that
contain some information you want to read?

> then replace the contents of those files with the same info in the
> following format:
>
> 1  file.%04d.rgb    1-5
> 2  file_2.%04d.rgb  1-3

I understand that "1-5" and "1-3" mean here, but I'm not sure I know what
the other notations such as the percent sign are getting at.  Again, are
these items the contents of a file or a filename?  I guess I just need to
you explain the format you're using and how it relates to the pre-munged
data.

> Are there any modules I should be looking at that could make this job
> easier?

Quite likely, once we know what it is you're trying to do exactly.

Regards,

Troy Denkinger