From: Peter Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 11:38 AM
To: Kent Mercer
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: platform win ME

At 10:12 AM 8/9/01 -0600, Kent Mercer wrote:

> [...]

Ah, okay, Windows ME.  A la Mrs. Beeton, first, get your perl.  Go to
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/ and download the
Windows MSI version (I'm guessing here that Windows ME has support for the
MS Installer; if not, get the Windows AS package.)  Install it and accept
all the defaults.

Then, use Notepad to create a file called hw.pl containing the text between
the lines below:

-------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
print "Hello World\n";

[Some people will argue about putting the use strict line in your first
program, but I say, you're going to put it in any program that does
anything useful, so why not get in the habit from the beginning.]

Then open a command prompt window to the same directory, and type

         perl hw.pl

and tell us if that doesn't work.

--
Peter Scott