Hi,

I am unable to get the following inherited code, using
Getopt::Long, to work.

It is my understanding that Perl will automatically
create a $opt_help variable ( for a -help command line
option). However, when I try to print it's value, it
returns a null value. In addition, the "help" mesage
is never printed.

Here is the output of the program, when I run it:

%perl gtopt.pl -help
The value of $opt_help is :

Any help and pointers on what might be wrong would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PN

---------- Source Code ----------
#/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

##### Forward declarations

my $opt_help;
sub GetCmdLine;

##### Begin of Main Body

&GetCmdLine();

##### End of Main Body

##########################
#### Sub GetCmdLine   ####
##########################

sub GetCmdLine {

use Getopt::Long;
$Getopt::Long::ignorecase;
$Getopt::Long::autoabbrev;

&GetOptions("help|h");

##### Print the value of $opt_help
       print "The value of \$opt_help is : ",
$opt_help, "\n";

if (defined($opt_help) && ($opt_help ==1)) {

  print "\n\nUsage: $0 [options] \n";
  print "  [optins]:\n";
  print "\t\t-h Prints this help message
header.....\n";