From: Walnut [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 11:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I am a real begginer to perl......

#open and read
open(FILE, "<$filename");

  @alllinesinthefile = <>;

close(FILE);

#open and write. Append uses >>
open(FILE, ">$filename");

  print FILE @alllinesinthefile;

close(FILE);

#looping
foreach $line ( @alllinesinthefile ) {

  #Do whatever you want
  # Go away and study regular expressions
  # e.g. $line =~ s/ABC/DEF/g;  #substitutes ABC with DEF
}

On Wed, 2 May 2001 12:27:10 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(N6tadam) wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>I wonder if someone could help me. I have been programming in bash for
years
>now, but I have decided that I would like to use perl.
>
>My question is: "how do I tell perl to open a file for reading, do various
>commands, and then output those changes to a new file"???
>
>Thanks in Anticipation,
>Regards,
>
>Thomas Adam
>

>Please note that the content of this message is confidential between the
original sender and the intended recipient(s) of the message. If you are not
an intended recipient and/or have received this message in error, kindly
disregard the content of the message and return it to the original sender.