> Hi, can someone tell me the proper syntax for untainting a UNIX
password?

First, just in case there is any confusion, I don't believe there is
anything special about passwords in the context of tainting.

> if ($password_T =~ /(  )/) {$password = $1;} else {$password=' ';}
>
> What goes in the ( ) ?

Something that matches (or fails to match) the password part of
the $password_T string.

<sermon>
The way you pose this question suggests you are hacking around
the security built in to some perl code that someone else wrote
when you have little care or clue about either security or perl. That
way lies madness...
</sermon>

hth.