Hello,

I am *very new* to Perl and to this list.  I have a question I am hoping
someone can answer.  I am looking over an existing Perl script and came
across this block of code:

 # Create the cmdfile
  my $runprog = "$NexBase::idxBase/cmdfiles/$indexname > $cmdfile";
  exit $? if system($runprog);

Can anyone tell me what the > symbol means here:

my $runprog = "$NexBase::idxBase/cmdfiles/$indexname > $cmdfile";

I have looked in O'Reilly's Programming Perl book and found lots of
information about the > symbol, but I could not see how it relates in
the above variable.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Buffy