i did not understand the part about working with samll scripts but you could
do somehting like this ... not tested
#!perl
        while(1) {
                if ( -s $flag_file_location ) {
                        system($command_to_execute) or warn "Cannot execute command\n";
                        sleep 5;

the above solution is really a crappy solution to your problems ... i can
already feel the cringes of some of the ppl on this list right now .. but it
is a start without going into forks and execs ... the perl cookbook has an
entire chapter dedicated to your solution and is a good starting point ...

another alternative (not pure perl) is to have a script like above without the
while loop and put it into a cron ...

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:45:54PM +0200, peter grotz shaped the electrons to read: