I am running a script with -w and I keep getting multiple warnings like...

     Use of uninitialized value in substr at mlknpvs.pm line 240
mlknpvs.pm line 241

In this particular script I call a sub from mlknpvs.pm. I declared an array
     my @parts;
and used "split" to load the array. Every time I use one of the elements, I
get a warning similar to above.
I have tried initializing it with numbers and strings
     my @parts = ("one", "two","three);
and
     my @parts = qw(1 2 3);
....same messages!

Is there someway to fix my code to eliminate these messages?

Here is the partial code listing.....

my (
    $base,                         #basename for $filename
    $dir,                          #path to $filename
    $ext,                          #file extension for $filename
    $name,                         #current filename in while loop
    @parts,                        #parts of current $filename ([0]=base,
[1]=ext, [2]=version ext)
    $killCount                     #counter for number of files to delete
    );

while ($name = readdir(DIR)) {
      $fileCount++;
      @parts = split(/\./,$name);
      substr($parts[1],0,0) = "."; #LINE 240

John Way
IS Professional
Phone (864)503-2939
Fax (864)503-2444
Internal 246-2939

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message
and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  Please advise
immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail
for messages of this kind.  If you are not the addressee, or person
responsible for delivering to the person addressed, you may not copy or
deliver this to anyone else.  If you receive this message by mistake,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.  Thank you.