On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Mel Matsuoka wrote:

> Having password information embedded in a publicly accessible document such
> as a CGI script is playing with fire, as far as I'm concerned. There may be
> a time when you least expect it when someone (or you) screws up the
> webserver config, and accidentally allows cgi-scripts to be sent out as
> plaintext documents. Ouch.

You've killed any security also if you don't remove backup files from your
web space.  emacs, for instance, creates files appended with ~, and people
forget to delete them (or create a cron job that does it).  Big hole
there.  At the very least, files included in a script that contain
sensitive information should be kept away from the document root of your
webserver.

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/