Hi All,

 I'm trying to pass wildcards (*) to the
system using the back quote method.

 For instance I want to list out a
directory that contains a particular
part of a string:

$file = `ls file.*.$variable.txt` where the "*" can
be any number of different charactors. Of course,
I pass it the value of the "$variable", but when I
run my script I get an error:

file.*.123456.txt: No such file or directory.

 The "123456" is the value of $variable.

 I know I can use "opendir" and the like to scan
through directories, but I would like to know how
this could work. Escaping the "*" (\*) did not help.
The "?" wildcard recieved the same treatment.

 Ideas?

--
Ken Hammer
Information Technology Central Services