Hi,

Until now I've written Perl in a quick-and-dirty fashion - single monolithic .pl file, cutting and pasting from previous code where convenient, etc. Often I won't even write subroutines. (It's not how I generally program, but it has filled the bill well for the kinds of things I've needed.)

Now I'm writing a suite of tools that will share a lot of the same functionality, and the right thing to do is factor that into a single source in some way. Something equivalent to #include "foo.c"

I feel like a lame-brain, but I can't really find things in Perl that seem to provide this.

All of my tools begin with the same initialization code. Somewhere I saw an example of 'eval "foo.pl";' which would handle this situation, but that usage isn't obvious to me in the perldoc for eval.

And all of the tools need frequent access to sub's, which I'd like to have in a separate source file and "include" in the main files.

I suppose what I want is the "module" (I mean, it just *sounds* right), but from what I've read so far, Perl modules seem to be very advanced, general-purpose animals - found mainly in CPAN, or in object- oriented programming. So far I've avoided OO Perl as much as possible. As an old-school structured/modular programmer, I'm wondering how other folks handle this need in "smallish" programming projects.

Thanks a lot. And by the way, I am convinced that Perl, and its practitioners, are among the best engineers on earth - so, please show me the way - if I need to learn about modules now, so be it! :-)

Chap Harrison