On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 14:30, AndrewMcHorney <andrewmchor...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I put the strict and warning statements in my perl code. I now need to
> initialize arrays. What is the best way to initialize an array before the
> loop where I will basically recreating the array size in the loop?
>
> my @array = ?
>
> while (more work to do)
> {
> �...@array = split $string;
>
>  # do work on array
> }
snip

The same way you created them before using strict:

my @array = AN_EXPRESSION_THAT_YIELDS_A_LIST;

Also, while loops are a bad way to process arrays, the for loop is
much more natural:

for my $element_of_array (@array) {
}

If this is the same code as before, you really shouldn't be using
arrays like that.  Files should be read using

while (my $line = <$fh>) {
}

not

my @array = <$fh>;