I'm writing a collection of filters that read from the CygWin / Windows system copy buffer (/dev/clipboard) and write to STDOUT. I can certainly write Perl to open this "file" and read from it, but I wondered if there was a way to put it into the shebang line. I don't have any reason to want to do this except for the brevity and the learning experience.

I've read perldoc perlrun but find it pretty confusing. Things I've tried unsuccessfully are:

#!/usr/bin/perl /dev/clipboard
#!/usr/bin/perl < /dev/clipboard
#!/usr/bin/perl -- /dev/clipboard

The body of the script always begins

while (defined (my $line = <>)) {
        ...etc
}

I figure I've just not got the switches right on the #! line... any help? Also, assuming it's possible, is there any reason NOT to do this?

Thanks!
Chap