----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Soham Das <soham...@yahoo.co.in>
To: Uri Guttman <u...@stemsystems.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 10:29:12 AM
Subject: Re: AW: Hash of Hashes

________________________________
From: Uri Guttman <u...@stemsystems.com>
To: Soham Das <soham...@yahoo.co.in>
Cc: Thomas Bätzler <t.baetz...@bringe.com>; beginners@perl.org
Sent: Tuesday, 29 September, 2009 9:17:57 PM

  SD> Lets assume, the hash of hash being a record of something which
  SD> has already happened and hence we know the final value, not
  SD> something which is right now happening, i.e changeable.

>you keep swapping hash and array concepts, words and symbols. please
>learn to keep them separate or your perl life will be hell. hashes have
>no concept of 'final value' as an array would. maybe you mean the hash
>is finalized and won't be changed anymore. if so then say that.

The hash is finalised and wont be changing anymore.

  SD> In my case, its like

  SD> $Position{$Scrip}{$Date}= #some value

  SD> That is, my position in a previous date $Date, in the stock
  SD> $scrip, was some integer. Thanks for the correction, regarding the
  SD> brackets. I stand corrected and it seems I have made a lot of such
  SD> mistakes apparent in the previous two three mails.

>hashes have no positions, just keys. again. try to use standard
>terminology or you won't convey any proper meaning here. programming
>requires this to be accurate. and yes, you have been making a bunch of
>hash/array mistakes and you must fix that in your head. they are similar
>in syntax styles in some ways (e.g. [] vs {}) but very different in
>semantics and terminology.

Now what I wrote, was not describing what that statement is supposed to do, but
the english transliteration of that statement. i.e the hash position will
convey me the record of my positions.
Hence my position in a particular scrip on a particular date (which will act as
keys) will give me some value, which will stand for the number of shares I was
holding.

I hope I am not ambiguous this time.
uri