Jenda Krynicky wrote:
> ST is an overkill if the extraction is simple.
>
> Especially if the number of items is fairly small.
>
> Actually if the extraction is really simple and the extracted key is
> not so small, than ST may perform worse than an ordinary sort doing
> the extraction within the comparison block. The additional array
> creation and destruction and increased memory load will more than
> ofset the lower number of extractions.

Who cares?  Modern computers are big enough and fast enough to handle
everything except editing movies.

The ST is a software pattern.  Once you learn to recognize it, you can
use it over and over by simply plugging in the values.  The only thing
that changes if the sort-field-extraction functions and whether a '<=>'
or 'cmp' appears in the sort.  All the rest is just copy & paste.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.