On  0, Steve Bertrand <st...@ibctech.ca> wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
> > I'm using the Daemon::Easy module to write a basic Perl daemon, but I'm
> > wondering if there is a way to stop the daemon from within the script (as
> > opposed to running "./script.pl stop")? Currently I have a subroutine to do
> > this, but it doesn't seem to cleanly erase the pid file.
> >
> >> &killMe {
> >>         unlink("/tmp/.idle_kick-$PID.pid");
> >>         system("gnome-session-save --force-logout"); # the point of the
> >> daemon
> >>         exit;
> >> }
> >
> > And yes, $PID is pointing to the proper file (I've used 'print' to manually
> > get
> > the value, and it's all right).
> >
> > I've read all of the documentation for the Daemon::Easy module,
>
> [...]
>
> As someone who is staging to become a CPAN author (but not there yet),
> I'd recommend that you mail the author with your concerns. If the CPAN
> author has honoured their responsibility, then there will be a
> responsive email address within the perldoc of the project.

I'll probably shoot him an e-mail then. I didn't realize the module was at such
a low version.

The user definitely has permissions to erase it; at one point I had this:

> unlink("/tmp/pid-file")
>       ? print LOG "Success!"
>       : print LOG "Failure";

And everytime I ran the program it would print "Success!" to the log file --
yet the file would still be there (and even printing the name of the file
proved nothing...the name was definitely correct)

> I'd find something else or re-write it, if I were you...

Extending it is a possibility, but at my current level (midway through reading
"Intermediate Perl" it's a bit out of the question. Perhaps in the next month
or so I can spruce it up a bit, though.

Note: Steve, sorry about replying to you originally. I wasn't thinking when I
hit the reply button.

--
      http://fuzzydev.org/~pobega
        http://identi.ca/pobega