On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:30:30 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Shawn H Corey <shawnhco...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://search.cpan.org/~mgrabnar/File-Tail-0.99.3/Tail.pm
>
> Thanks that looks useful.  Is there a reason why I should use that
> module as apposed to the kind of code offered in the faq about tail?
> (perldoc -q  tail) as suggested by another poster (Jim G).

For code this brief, it's a toss-up.  Using the module results in about
the same amount of code; the advantage is that it's a bit more readable.
In general, for tasks like this, you can expect a module to be more
portable and featureful, and handle more special cases.  You may never
need any of its additional functionality, but if the day comes when, for
instance, you want your code to be smarter about how fast it responds to
changes in a file, the module would instantly become a better choice.

--
Peter Scott
http://www.perlmedic.com/