On Nov 9, 2009, at 16:25, axr0284 wrote:

> Hi,
> I am completely stumped with how to proceed with this.
> I have a program where the user inputs a path to a file. This is under
> windows xp
>
> The path can be relative
> ..\..\..\synthesis\int_code.psm
> .\program\synthesis\int_code.psm
>
> or absolute
> c:\command\tool\program\synthesis\int_code.psm
>
> I do not know what it is in advance.
>
> 1)I would need perl to be able to distinguish between a relative and
> absolute path

Fortunately there are lots of tools to do this in perl. :)

> 2) If the path is relative, create an absolute path from that.
>
> My orignal idea was to locate ..\ with regex using m/([.]{2}\\)/ This
> would indicate if the path is relative or not
>
> use cd to obtain the present working directory. Is there a better way
> to do this???

Yes; Cwd
To find out more, look up Cwd in perl documentation. In short its like this:

           use Cwd;
           my $dir = getcwd;

           use Cwd 'abs_path';
           my $abs_path = abs_path($file);

> Can anybody help me with this or can you think of a better idea.

Avoid starting your solution with a regex if you can. Regexes tend to get
complicated quickly. :)

Jeremiah