On Jan 8, 2010, at 10:25 AM, Jim Gibson wrote:

> You can install modules without using CPAN. Download the distribution file
> from:
>
> <http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/A/AD/ADAMK/File-HomeDir-0.89.tar.gz>
>
> Unpack it in any directory.
>
> Go to the top-level directory (File-HomeDir-0.89).
>
> Execute the commands:
>  perl Makefile.PL
>  make
>  make test
>  make install
>
> (Depending upon your admin privileges, You may have to replace the last
> command with 'sudo make install'.
>
> The module should now be installed.

Thanks, Jim - I ran 'make install' (without sudo) and found that it wanted to
install into /Library/Perl/5.10.0/.  As it turns out, that dir already contains
File/HomeDir version 0.88.  Diff'ing with 0.89 reveals only an insignificant
documentation change.

(I also wasn't sure it was a good idea to be changing anything in
/Library/Perl/5.10.0/ -- being unsure whether or not that was used by the OS --
although there's *also* a /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/ -- so I don't know if
/Library/Perl/ is "mine" or not.)

Maybe what I need is some concise, accurate description of a Perl (& CPAN)
installation on Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" (v10.6).  I've read enough warnings
about messing with the OS's Perl installation to want to steer completely clear
of that.  I guess that, up to now, I've been lucky.