On 1/13/10 Wed  Jan 13, 2010  3:28 PM, "ANJAN PURKAYASTHA"
<anjan.purkayas...@gmail.com> scribbled:

> Hi,
> Suppose I run an application from within  a perl script, with system (eg
> system ("myfavprogram input_file out_file")).
> Is there a way to let the script know that the program has finished running
> and that I can move on to the next step in the perl script?

The system function will wait for the external process to terminate before
continuing. See 'perldoc -f system'. So unless your external process does
something funny, like starting its own processes and returning early to its
caller before finishing, you shouldn't have to do anything special in your
Perl program.