  >> the next question is do you understand what that code is doing? and
  >> what
  >> the <> operator does? and the -p option? don't just use that code
  >> without understanding it or you won't learn more perl. this list is
  >> about learning perl, not just getting working perl code to use.

  PN> You can tell from my initial request that I have some knowledge.  An
  PN> expert? No.  But not an novice either.  I had no real knowledge of the
  PN> <> until it was introduced to me on this list.  I did find out what it
  PN> did, and incorporated it into my script.  However, I normally don't
  PN> run from the command line so the -p -n distinction did not really
  PN> matter to me.  But, the paragraph mode tip led me to a whole new area.

  PN> All that said, my file is working and I appreciate the push.

but it doesn't sound like you read the docs on all the items i pointed
out. that is the way to learn perl -- when you learn about a new
feature, read the docs on it and learn more and how it works. <> is a
very common operator and your not knowing it means you need to read
more.

i always suggest newbies read ALL of several docs. this doesn't mean you
have to understand it all the first time through but that you have seen
it all at least. then you can go back and reread sections as needed to
get more. so when you see options like -p, read perlrun for all about
command line options. <> is covered in perlop which is all about the
operators. the document 'perl' is a list of all the other documents
which is useful to read. there are several tutorials and instructional
docs amidst all the reference docs and those are important to read as
well. you will learn more perl, faster and better if you apply this
concept. don't expect to learn all the info in the docs, but learn how
to glean what you need from them.

thanx,

uri

--