On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Uri Guttman <u...@stemsystems.com> wrote:

> >>>>> "7" == 7  <7stud.7s...@gmail.com> writes:

they both read fine in english which is why they we included by
> larry.

They don't both read fine.  To many people, unless is a confusing construct.
 Larry has made plenty of mistakes designing perl.

 7>     Because unless and until statements are harder to maintain, NO ONE
> should
>  7>     use them--least of all beginners.
>
>  7>  Because unless and until statements are harder to *read and maintain*,
> NO ONE
>  7> should use them--least of all beginners.
>
> wrong again. unless is very commonly used by decent perl hackers. i
> teach its use when i can.

Then you are teaching poor coding style.

> obviates the need for extraneous ! ops and
> reads better as it is one word vs 'if not'

'if not' is two words but it is not more easily understood than 'abaca';
therefore I find your 'number of words' test faulty.  I would imagine that
most people have to mentally translate 'unless' to 'if not' anyway.