On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Tony Esposito
<tony1234567...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> This question has never been answered.  To out it another way, given the code
>
>  foreach my $mytable (@mytables) {
>  my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM mytable");
>  # report error but move on to next table
> }
>
> how do I ignore the situation/error that DBI throws when $mytable does not
> exist and just move on to the next table?

The question was answered, but perhaps you did not understand the answer:

Wrap the call in an eval block. Then check $@ to see if there was a
fatal error, which you can ignore if you want to or do something along
the lines of:

    eval {
        my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM mytable");
    };

    if ($@) {
        print "Table $table -- (probably) DOES NOT EXIST\n";
        next;
    }

    $retCode = $sth->execute();

HTH,

-- jay
This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.downloadsquad.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of β will give rise to dom!