On Saturday, September 15, 2001, at 11:22 AM, Chris Zubrzycki wrote:

I have been trying to get CPAN working (with sudo perl -MCPAN -e
shell;), but when building Perl 5.6.1, i get errors. i tried to force
it, to no avail.

these are the last lines of the build process...I was hoping everything
would be automagic, but why is there no makefile?

I'm on OS X [darwin] and used all the defaults, even when they were
strange (couldn't find malloc?)

ok...after much digging i think i found the right way....

___BEGIN___
rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
sh Configure -ds -e -Dprefix=/usr -Dccflags="-g -pipe"
-Dfirstmakefile=GNUmakefile
make
make test
mv install install.txt    # Necessary because INSTALL eq install on OS
X ##
make install
___BEGIN___

it seems tho that the -pipe on the cmdline is not needed...the cc output
has "-pipe -pipe"

CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common
-DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing -O3

weird. how hard is it to get changes like these into the source tree so
it can be automatic?

only failed 5 tests, 2 which were expected to fail.