>That depends on exactly what you are trying to do, how big of a job
>queue it should be, if there needs to be any feedback (like job status
>and error messages) and such.
>
>I for myself would go for a database backed system, as this implicitly
>avoids things like race conditions and file lock issues. But without
>further information about what you are actually trying to achieve, it's
>hard to tell...

Rene,
Thanks for the info, I am trying to sequentially execute the same bash shell
script (which could be rolled into this Perl script) with about 1/2 dozen
clients
ssh'ing a keyword into a pipe as $1 for use in the bash script.

I need something to read max 30 or so chars from a named pipe and execute
my script with that keyword.

Something that I can daemonize with an init script.

Seen anything similar that can be bent into shape?

Thanks!
jlc