Harry Putnam wrote:
I don't mean to pound this to death, but does that mean then that
there are no good uses of 2 arg opens?

Regarding perlopentut, I've been able to follow about a 1/10 of what
I've read so far, but I must say that many (of at least the early)
examples appear to be 2 arg opens.
In fact a whole boat load of them do, but here people have seemed to
be indicating that 2 arg opens are bad, no one has shown a good use of
a two arg open in this thread.

Yet, in perlopentut, they are all over the place.

A recent complaint in the Perlsphere is that the documentation for open is old. Some day it will get fixed.

There is nothing you can do with the 2-arg open that you can't do with the 3-arg one. And the 3-arg one lets you do more. It is the preferred method.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.