>nothing HAS to be global. you can pass it to a sub, you can store the
>options in a hash (my way and easy with getopt::long), etc. some globals
>may be useful but always using them or not know other ways is bad.

Ok, fair enough.

>no. it is a single string with 4 lines in it. why would you think
>foreach would loop over its lines vs its single string? arrays can
>contain strings without lines and a scalar could contain a single string
>with lines. so foreach is neutral and just loops over what you pass it
>in terms of perl elements. if you want lines, split them yourself or get
>them some other way. e.g. backticks in a list context will split its
>output into lines for you. i dunno how you are doing this telnet thing
>(as i said SHOW MORE/ALL CODE :).

Well the rest of the code _only_ does the telnet part and has too much
hardcoded stuff atm. It works perfectly as per cpan docs.

I'm just stuck on formatting the sub to match a string, just don't know
enough about Perl:)

I think I have it:

sub parse_output {
        my ( $string, $match ) = @_;
        die "Error in parse_output sub\n" unless ((defined $string) || (defined
$match));
        if ( $string =~ /$match/ ) {
                return "OK";
                } else {
                        return "CRITICAL";

$status = parse_output($output, $expect);
print "Status: $status\n";

>From what I can see, this follows all the suggestions you have provided?
Thanks for all your help!
jlc