Mimi Cafe <mimic...@googlemail.com> asked:
> I need to evaluate a statement in an if, elsif, else block, and the
> statement to evaluate in the elsif is too large as I need to run a SQL
> query and act on the return value.
> What would be a better way to achieve this? Putting the SQL statement
> elsewhere outside the block cannot be right, so I am wondering what to
> do here.

I'm talking for myself here, but the way I usually do this is that I wrap up
each SQL query or set of related SQL queries in a subroutine.

If the sub's going to be used as a predicate I make sure it returns true/false
and pass all of the relevant data as arguments. By giving it a suitable name, I
end up with nicely readable code like

        [...]
        if( isSomeCondition( $foo, $baz, $bar ) ){
        [...]

More or less straight out of Perl Best Practices, Chapter 3.

HTH,
Thomas