Harry Putnam wrote:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

my $var1 = 'whoopdee';
my $var2 = 'do';

my %dispatch = (
        y => \&yy($var1,$var2),

this, actually, is not a code reference but a return value reference
of the &yy($var1, $var2) subroutine call, executed right at the time
of %dispatch assignment. By using (...) after a subroutine name you
have the subroutine executed and get its return value. Then, the
leading '\' in this syntax makes a reference to that return value.

Thanks.  I'm not sure I really understand,  why is the subroutine NOT called
immediately if (..) is not present? I guess what I'm asking is how is it that:

y => \&yy,
Is not executed but:

  y => \&yy($var,$var),

is executed?

The present of the parenthesis tells the parser that you want the subroutine called and a reference to is returned value stored in the hash.

If you remove the reference notation in other code like this:

 my $it = &yy;
 my $it = yy($var,$var);

Either one would execute immediately right?

Yes.

To see what has happened, try to run your code in debug mode (perl -d)
and view the contents of your %dispatch hash, or place

use Data::Dumper;
print Dumper { %dispatch };

Thats a good tip... thanks.  I recall having seen this mentioned
before but I didn't understand what it meant.

I see now how you can tell that \&yy($var,$var) executed immediately.

[...]

         'y' => \'You pressed `y\',whoopdee do .. but why?

[...]

    my $code = $dispatch{$selection} || $dispatch{'error'} ;
    $code->();
this is the place you really want to call your subroutine, so also the
place to pass your arguments to it:

$code->($var1, $var2);
}

Ok, thanks, I hadn't understood how that notation `$code->()' worked.

I started by copying a googled example of a dipatch table and tried to
edit it for my own use, but I have A LOT of trouble following along in
code... it seems some of the posters here read it like a book.
Hopefully I will be able to eventually too.

However, using your suggestion:
  > $code->($var1, $var2);

and the Dumper lines:

  use Data::Dumper;
  print Dumper { %dispatch };

I don't see the expected result when I press `y'.  (The code is at the end)
It seems to do nothing.
The dump shows:

$VAR1 = {
          'y' => sub { "DUMMY" },
          'n' => sub { "DUMMY" },
          'q' => sub { "DUMMY" },
          'error' => sub { "DUMMY" }
        };

I guess it just shows that nothing happens...

Not exactly. Data::Dumper places a dummy sub in its output since it can't disassemble the code. See "BUGS" in `perldoc Data::Dumper`.

But the code is at the end... no doubt riddled with more mistakes.

sub yy {
  my ($var1,$var2);
  ($var1,$var2) =  (shift,shift);
why not:

my ($var1, $var2) = @_;

I guess I wasn't sure that would get the right result but knew
($var1,$var2) =  (shift,shift);  would.  Your example is simpler
and more obvious.  Thanks

my   $var1 = shift;
my   $var2 = shift;

Is that actually better in some way?  Or do you just mean it looks
nicer?

my $var1 = shift @_;  # $var1 contains foo
my $var2 = shift @_;  # $var2 contains bar

# One variable per line is a good way to comment on them

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.