"Uri Guttman" <u...@stemsystems.com> writes:

> this is what has been bothering me here. you haven't yet spit out a
> proper problem specification. as i kept saying comparing dir trees is
> tricky and you kept showing incomplete examples which now all seem to be
> wrong as you just made a major change in the 'spec'. now duplicate
> filenames could actually be different files vs just copies in different
> places. this is a whole other mess of fish.

None of what I've shown contradicts the full program... quit karping
about it.  Sloppy... yes, I have been.  I wonder if that might be
because I don't really have a good idea of what I'm doing or how to do
it.   What a surprise... that's why its called perl.beginners.

> so learn this before you get in deeper. always have a proper
> specification in ENGLISH before you design or code. a major change like
> this can cause a complete redesign of all your previous work.

This is nonesense and absolutely wrong. Please don't give such poor
advice to anyone else.

Not a major change at all.. I've gotten much much farther along with
what has been posted and responded to.

I hope no one takes you seriously with that.  Like many before me, I'm
working this out as I go along.  In the beginning I didn't know what a
full program would look like.  I took some time with the examples I
tried to raise here ... much more than I should admit to.  This stuff
comes hard to me.

Other helpful posters have shown clear working examples... most of
them now appear in this program in one way or another.

I've learned so much here that now I can probably put it fully in
words.  Maybe even ones you'd approve of.

But could I have started there.... not a chance.  So please engage
some shred of common sense before routinely posting constant karping
and even seriously wrong headed  advice like this.