Hi Parag,

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 08:50:21 Parag Kalra wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I am trying to design some scripts using the module - XML::Parser
>
> To start  learning I have a very basic scenario. Suppose I have following
> XML file:
>
> <root>
> <tag1>My Tag1</tag1>
> <tag2>My Tag2</tag2>
> <tag3>My Tag3</tag3>
> </root>
>
> I want to save the the tags as the keys of a Hash and respective content as
> the  value of that hash
>
> So for the above XML file using the module XML::Parser, I would like to
> create a hash having following key/value pair:
>
> my %my_hash = (
>         tag1 => 'My Tag1',
>         tag2 => 'My Tag2',
>         tag3 => 'My Tag3',
>     );
>
> Is that possible?

It is possible with XML::Parser, but you really should be using one of the
many XML-LibXML interfaces instead. If you can afford to read the entire file
into memory as DOM, then you can use XPath and DOM functions to easily get
everything:

* http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XPathTutorial/General/examples.html

* http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/11/14/xml-libxml.html

If your XML is too large to be used with DOM (and you should verify it first,
because you shouldn't optimise prematurely), then you can use the XML-LibXML
pull parser.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish