The Perl command opens a new instance of the shell, not the one you
called Perl from. The new instance has no history to report.

Bob McConnell

-----Original Message-----
From: Chaitanya Yanamadala [mailto:dr.virus.in...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:20 AM
To: Bob McConnell
Cc: beginners@perl.org
Subject: Re: help in perl script

dear Bob
if my current shell does not have any history then how come i am getting
the history when i run the same in the terminal??
from where i am getting this history.

Chaitanya

        From: Chaitanya Yanamadala

        > hai
        >  both of these didnt help me..
        >
        > @kammen
        > i can run the history command from the command line..
        > but not through the perl script..
        > i have tried ur choice but it also didnt work..
        >
        > @shawn
        >  yes it didnt gave me any out put..
        > but i require to print the output..
        > so hw do i do it..
        >
        > can some body help me on this..

        Not until you learn a little more about Unix shells. Your
command worked
        perfectly, it just didn't output what you expected. The history
command
        in bash returnes the command history of the current shell. Since
you
        just opened it via the system call, it has no history, so it
returns an
        empty string. That behavior is correct.

        Now, what are you actually looking for?

        Bob McConnell