Hello Marilyn,

Marilyn Sander <marilyn-san...@earthlink.net> wrote on 05/27/2010 01:28:58
AM:
> Thanks, this document just explains about @INC.  I already know how to
> use @INC.  My question was about "normal", "standard", or "best"
> practice for placement of scripts and Perl libraries on Windows.   The
> default setup for ActiveState is to put site-specific stuff into c:
> \Perl\site\lib.  I would rather use a location on the network, mapped
> to a network drive.  I know how to do that, I just want to know if
> Windows people would find that weird or objectionable.

I don't think that general "policies" regarding the placement of 3rd-party
libraries change with the OS. It's a mere question of "self-contained" v.
"uses libraries from the system". For applications that either share
several machines or where I cannot install modules from CPAN directly into
the site library directory, I choose this approach, too. The only problem
that you cannot solve with the "self-contained" approach is that of
libraries with XS code: Changing library versions or even architectures
will render this particular contained library unusable.

HTH.

                  Eric

--
Eric MSP Veith <eric.ve...@de.ibm.com>
Hechtsheimer Str. 2

IBM Deutschland GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Erich Clementi
Geschäftsführung: Martin Jetter (Vorsitzender), Reinhard Reschke, Christoph
Grandpierre, Matthias Hartmann, Michael Diemer, Martina Koederitz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Stuttgart
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940